Direct2D is a hardware-accelerated, immediate-mode, 2-D graphics API that provides high performance and high-quality rendering for 2-D geometry, bitmaps, and text. The Direct2D API is designed to interoperate well with GDI, GDI+, and Direct3D.
因为从sample 来看，它不需要安装DX SDK.
Direct2D is designed primarily for use by the following classes of developers:
- Developers of large, enterprise-scale, native applications.
- Developers who create control toolkits and libraries for consumption by downstream developers.
- Developers who require server-side rendering of 2-D graphics.
- Developers who use Direct3D graphics and need simple, high-performance 2-D and text rendering for menus, user-interface (UI) elements, and Heads-up Displays (HUDs).
- Windows 7 or Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Platform Update for Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Platform Update for Windows Server 2008
– Related to the previous question: What version(s) of D3D does this run on? Will it be backwards compatible?
It runs on Direct3D 10.1, which includes so-called 10Level9 functionality — which allows you to run D3D10.1 apps on a D3D9 driver.
需要 10.1 但可以 跑在 D3D9
还可以制作 video playback，就是因为是建立在 D3D 上的。
does D3D10 GPU run as D3D10Level9 device for D3D10.1?
No, D3D10Level9 is only used in conjunction with a D3D9 driver.
http://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/pdc2008/pc03 channel19 的video PDC 2008
Can Direct2D ‘help out’ in WPF? I mean, my experience with WPF is its quite slow in terms of rendering compared to GDI/GDI+. Maybe you guys can build an additional layer that can make WPF render using Direct2D
WPF can interop with Direct3D9. Read these articles for more details.
涉及 WPF 与 Win32 interoperability 。